Friday, May 19, 2017

SUNNY MORNING STORMY AFTERNOON

A 6am alarm really shook me awake today as I remembered why I had set it that early. I got up and went up to the brooder boxes and took the screen down that I had put in front of the nesting tunnel so the new little chicks couldn't get away from the mama hen last night. I wanted to get it down as soon as daylight came today to avoid the hen getting upset and hurting the chicks trying to get out to the feed and water.
The little chicks were all still tucked under her warm feathers so I went back to bed for a little while.
I did regular chores about 8am and took these pics of the mama hen and her new babies who seem to have taken very well to one another and the 2 little spotted chicks that hatched from the 2 eggs I had under her are so pretty.



I had breakfast then took a walk around the farm . I emptied 1/10th inch of rain from an overnight shower from the rain gauge .
The sun is shining this morning and the humid air caused me to sweat before I got back inside.
I started baking cakes and baked 6 caramel, 2 chocolate, 1 carrot, 6 pound cakes, 1 blackberry wine and 2 pans of brownies . I had lunch as hubbie came in from work. He is taking 1/2 day off today to work in the garden before the rain gets here this afternoon.
I went to my friend / beautician to have her cut my hair at 1:30 and while I was there the rains came.
It was only one shower but a heavy one that left another 3/10ths inch in the gauge in less than 30 minutes. These are some quickly forming severe thunder storms and they are popping up all over the county prompting a severe thunder storm warning for the entire county.



When I got home the rain had stopped and hubbie had went back to work in the garden and was finishing up putting stakes at the pepper plants and cages around all the tomato plants.

Our garden is looking pretty good in spite of all the up and down weather we have had so far this season.
It's funny how things jar memories, when I looked at this pic I took of my haircut and saw this old and I do mean old , about 20 year old tee shirt that I have on it jogged a memory.

Not of the days back them spent at the baseball field watching both boys play ball or the many trips this baseball mom took with the all stars as we traveled all summer some years to tournaments . But the memory jogged today was of the sweet older couple that I bought this tee shirt from. This couple were fellow vendors in a little country craft store business a friend of mine started 20 years ago and asked me to join her. I sold Avon and Stanley products as well as my crafts and baked goods in there for several years. Her business mane was The Rusty Bucket and  it is still open with a barber shop and hair salon in there now. But this elderly couple were so sweet and they sold screen printed tee-shirts as well as ceramic crafts (I have one of their ceramic Christmas decorations that I use every year) to make extra money in their retirement. Funny I can see their faces clearly but can not remember their names.
I left this business after a couple years there as my kids got older and got into more activities and it became too much for me to do the Curb Market and this business together so I made a choice to leave there so I lost touch with these folks.
I sat on the porch and watched another storm skirt off the north of our area and felt the cool air from what was probably hail in that storm.
We did chores and then I spent the evening in the kitchen icing cakes and getting things ready for market.
I am tired tonight from that early morning wake up and all of a sudden this afternoon my throat started hurting and I feel pretty bad tonight. Hopefully a good nights sleep will make me feel better. Daughter had a sore throat earlier in the week and there seems to be a bug going around so maybe it will be short lived.
Thankful to God for the blessings of this day and for His everlasting love.
God Bless and Good Night


No comments: