Monday, August 14, 2017

FIRST APPLES AND APPLE DO-NUTS OF THE SEASON

Monday morning again ????
G-son and g-daughter R arrived at 8am this morning as their mom gets back on a full week schedule at the elementary school she works at.
After chores and breakfast the kids spent the morning playing with some friends. While they played and hubbie stayed with them I did 3 loads of weekly laundry.
The friends left just before lunch and after we ate we made a trip to Southern States for chicken feed and stopped by the vet's office for Bernie's medicine refills.
We also stopped by Granddad's apple house to get apples and some of those delicious apple do-nuts.
And they had to have some ice cream.


I like buying apples here because you can mix all the varieties up and try them all. They have several new varieties this year so I am looking forward to tasting the difference.
We all had a do-nut when we got home and they were as good as we remembered from last year.
Just after we got home the rain started pouring down here. It rained almost 2 inches in about 30 minutes turning the yard into a lake and the road into a skating rink for cars. Add that to the 3/10ths inch I dumped from the gauge this morning for a pretty hefty daily total and it is raining again tonight.
D-in-love drove through the aftermath on her way home and said it was scary driving with the roads just standing full of water.
After she took the kids home hubbie and I got out to survey the damage from the water around here.
We had to shovel out driveway ditches and re-direct some water that was going under some of our storage buildings.
We did chores and then I started turning these Roma tomatoes along with some other varieties into salsa. I always grow several plants of this variety just for salsa making because they cook up so thick.
I added another 14 pints of delicious salsa to our winter supply.
We have our second hurricane of the season as Gert is already hurricane strength but is still predicted to stay off the coast.
Whew, I'm tired tonight but have an accomplished feeling for not doing what I felt like doing this evening. I felt like just sitting down and resting after we shoveled the ditches out and got chores done but I pushed myself and got the salsa made.
Thankful for the blessings of this day and for the strength God gives me each day.
God Bless and Good Night.





1 comment:

linda m said...

Your heavy rain sounds like what we had last week. Sure does make for scary driving. That salsa sure looks good. Have a blessed day.